Computer Systems Administrator 2
University of Cincinnati Job Location: Ohio Apply By: Open until filled Date Created: 10-12-2021
ABOUT UC LIBRARIES:
The Libraries’ vision to become the globally engaged, intellectual commons of the university—positioning itself as the hub of collaboration, digital innovation and scholarly endeavor on campus. Through work on the strategic pillars of digital technology/innovations, people, data to information to knowledge and space, and with a strong foundation of a dedicated and knowledgeable staff with unique and advanced skill sets, the Libraries is primed to transform itself, the library landscape and the teaching, learning, clinical and research endeavors of the university.
ABOUT THE JOB:
The University of Cincinnati Libraries (UCL) seeks a self-motivated, team-oriented individual to provide server support for hosted applications. This position is part of UCL’s Application Development Unit, and the successful candidate will be responsible for managing on-premise and cloud-based servers, deployment, monitoring of software applications, and relational database management, operating system and middleware support within UCL. UCL primarily uses open-source applications, languages, and frameworks, and most applications run in Linux server environments hosted at UC or Amazon Web Services (AWS). This position has an annual salary range of $67,500 - $75,000. The University of Cincinnati offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes tuition remission for faculty and staff.
Under general supervision from a designated administrator, responsible for large-scale operating systems and database management systems that typically serve the entire campus or large multi-unit departments; provides support for installing, maintaining, and modifying operating systems, database management systems, utilities, and related software.
- Ensure operating systems software is properly installed, tested, and tuned to maximize operating efficiency; ensure the availability, integrity, and reliability of assigned systems.
- Assist in developing and implementing plans for fully integrated systems, including operating systems, network systems, database systems and applications.
- Assist in developing plans, schedules, and requirements for the installation and maintenance of new and /or revised software.
- Install, configure, and tune operating systems software for optimal performance.
- Assist in system integration with other systems.
- Evaluate and recommend hardware and system software procurement.
- Assess the impact of new software on existing systems and users and develop modification plans as needed.
- Plan and implement upgrades and modifications to systems configuration to improve utilization based on analysis of application and production requirements.
- Plan system capacity and develop expansion plans. Allocate and organize data storage.
- May write and develop efficient software and code for operating systems.
- Serve as a seasoned and proficient professional.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, or related degree with two (2) years of experience; -OR- an Associate’s degree with four (4) years of experience; or six (6) years of intermediate level related. Possesses a thorough understanding of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures and contributes through experience, collaboration and problem resolution.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS CONSIDERED:
- 2 years of experience with Linux server administration.
- Experience with configuration and management of relational database systems (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Experience building and updating infrastructure using automated tools (e.g. Teraform, Ansible, Puppet).
- Experience supporting cloud-based infrastructure (e.g. Amazon Web Services, MS Azure).
- Based on the nature of this position, the university is unable to provide sponsorship for work visas.
- Prospective applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume, and diversity statement with their application.
- If there are questions regarding the position, please email Aja Hickman, UC Libraries Senior HR Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org