Data and Assessment Specialist
Columbia University Job Location: New York Apply By: Open until filled Date Created: 01-13-2022
The Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library at Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC) seeks applications for the position of Data and Assessment Specialist.
The Data and Assessment Specialist will play a critical role in enhancing the Health Sciences Library’s (HSL) understanding of the CUIMC community’s needs and experiences with library services, resources, and spaces to ensure a high-quality user experience. The position will lead library efforts to collect, store, analyze, and learn from user data, allowing the library to better understand our users’ needs and to develop sustainable, meaningful interactions between library staff and the CUIMC community. This position will report to the Access Services Manager and will work closely with HSL’s operational and programmatic staff.
- Design and implement formal and informal assessment strategies and methods to collect and analyze transaction and usage data for all library units. Develop and implement library-wide policies and procedures for assessment and data collection.
- In consultation with stakeholders, devise and maintain data repository for data collected from library systems, assessment projects, and user research. Create and deliver library-wide regular and ad-hoc reporting in formats such as dashboards and reports.
- Establish methods to capture and report on CUIMC patterns and trends of information needs to inform service and program offerings and resource planning.
- Guide, instruct, and consult staff and other strategic partners on data collection, analysis, visualization, and interpretation as needed.
- Support the Access Services team in assisting users with accessing Library resources and services.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in experience, education and training plus at least two years of relevant experience; a Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as Anthropology, Business, Sociology, etc. may substitute for part of experience.
- Demonstrated experience in survey design and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in data management.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues and diverse populations.
- Excellent communication, time management, and project management skills.
- Experience in using relevant tools and software including Microsoft Office, survey tools (Qualtrics preferred), statistical software, Google Analytics, and customer support platforms (ZenDesk preferred).
- To be considered, a cover letter must be submitted along with the application
- Experience with outreach to students, faculty, and staff in an academic institution a plus.
- Ability to drive end-to-end data analytics cycle.
- Experience conducting assessment and evaluation projects.
- Experience creating data management policies.
- Experience training staff on data management practices.
- Experience working on project teams and using project management techniques and tools.
- Experience in marketing a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.