Scholarly Engagement Librarian for Latin American Studies and Humanities
Tulane University Job Location: Louisiana Date Created: 06-03-2022
- Scholarly Engagement for The Latin American Library - Under the supervision of LAL librarians, provides scholarly engagement services at the LAL; ensures that faculty, students and visiting researchers receive pertinent and professional research assistance; communicates effectively with LAL Director on all aspects of research services; participates in meetings and initiatives with the Scholarly Engagement Division at Tulane Libraries as appropriate.
- Instruction for LAL and the General Humanities - Under the direction of TUL librarians, works with faculty and instructors affiliated with the Stone Center for Latin American Studies and the School of Liberal Arts to incorporate information literacy and research skills into the academic experience of students; seeks creative ways to engage students and faculty on campus through instructional services and the development of asynchronous teaching tools.
- Professional Development - Attends relevant Tulane Libraries meetings such as Library Department, Collections, LAL and Scholarly Engagement as needed. Attends relevant committees for Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials (SALALM).
- Performs other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description - Exhibits a willingness to assume additional duties. Seeks the guidance of immediate supervisor prior to beginning an unfamiliar assignment.
- ALA-accredited MLS or its equivalent and a degree in a relevant subject area; OR a recent Ph.D in any field of Latin American Studies;
- Excellent command of English and Spanish, spoken and written;
- Advanced knowledge of the history and cultures of Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills;
- Some experience in teaching practices and methodologies;
- Prior experience or willingness to learn the methods and practices of a modern research library;
- Prior experience with or willingness to learn about the creation of asynchronous learning objects;
- Enthusiasm for an innovative environment;
- Competence in Portuguese language.