Associate Director for Collections & Access Services
New York University Job Location: New York Date Created: 07-18-2022
This Associate Director of Collections & Access Services (AC) provides leadership and strategic vision for the planning and management of NYU Law Library’s renowned collections, ensuring efficiency in workflows and maximum impact for patrons. The AC oversees collection development, the information budget, acquisitions, cataloging, and collection services. Collaborates with colleagues to select technology tools for the department and works closely with the Director to prepare financial reports and statistical reports. This supervisory role oversees librarians, administrators and paraprofessionals. As a member of the library’s senior management team, the AC participates in tactical decision-making for the library as a whole.
Duties & Responsibilities
Collection Development & Budgeting
- Provides strategic vision for library collections to align with Law School’s strategic goals and ensures Library’s collections are of an appropriate scope and caliber to support the current and future needs of the Law School community.
- Provides leadership for collection development. As such, updates the library’s collection development policy; co-chairs the Collection Development Committee (CDC). Reviews usage statistics and other metrics. Implements strategies to ensure maximum impact of resources.
- Maintains primary responsibility for the collection budget. Sets fund allocations in collaboration with CDC, prepares reports, determines appropriate use of restricted funds, ensures that encumbrances and expenditures adhere to allocations and otherwise monitors information budget.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of the budget for accurate vendor adjustments.
- Spearheads and oversees the Library’s interactions with NYU’s procurement system to ensure AP compliance.
- Cultivates vendor relationships to assist the ordering and collection process.
- Negotiates or oversees the negotiation of cost and license terms.
- Participates and serves as a primary contact for consortium relating to collection initiatives.
Acquisitions, Cataloging, E-Resource Management and Collection Services
- Responsible for the administration of those units, including hiring and staff development.
- Sets department goals and policies and streamlines workflows across units.
- Monitors the physical arrangement and organization of the library collection. Plans and coordinates the moving of collections as needed, including to off-site storage.
- Works collaboratively with the library’s technology team to ensure library infrastructure (including ILS) promotes discovery and accessibility of collection.
- Leads the investigation and implementation of new pertinent technologies and operational tools, in collaboration with members of the library’s technology team.
Faculty Library & Rare Book Room
- Develops, in consultation with other library management and with the input of faculty, a long-term plan for NYU’s faculty library and the rare book room.
Law librarians at NYU have faculty status (non-tenure), and after the first year are eligible for multi-year contracts. The position reports to the Library Director. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package.
- J.D. from an A.B.A. accredited law school (or equivalent degree from a non-U.S. law school.
- M.L.S. or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, including supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of the assessment, negotiation, selection, licensing and acquisition of library content in all formats.
- Experience with budget planning, reporting, and effective stewardship of budget allocation.
- Experience in academic law library’s technical services department.
The NYU Law Library is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, and to bringing new voices into the field. We strongly welcome applications from underrepresented groups. Please submit a cover letter, a resume and the names and contact information for three professional references, via Interfolio: http://apply.interfolio.com/109828