Research Computing Program Manager
Columbia University Libraries Job Location: New York Apply By: Open until filled Date Created: 07-25-2022
Columbia University Libraries seeks a Research Computing Program Manager to lead the activities of the Foundations for Research Computing program. The aim of the program is to train Columbia researchers in computational skills and overall computational literacy. As part of the Columbia University Libraries’ Digital Scholarship unit, the Program Manager will administer the program for researchers in close cooperation with other colleagues in the Libraries, Columbia University Information Technology (CUIT), and the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research (EVPR).
The Program Manager will oversee a training program for graduate students and postdocs in research computing while continuing to identify training needs for that community, and adapting and developing the program to meet those changing needs. The Program Manager will direct and grow the community of trained Software Carpentry instructors to plan and facilitate workshops, boot camps, and additional training opportunities at the novice and intermediate levels. The Program Manager will maintain an existing community-facing Python User Group and have the opportunity to develop other community-facing programming. Partnering with colleagues in the Libraries, the Program Manager will additionally develop and maintain continuous relationships and communications channels with academic departments across the University in order to survey administrators, faculty, and students about their ever-evolving needs for computational literacy, and methods for meeting these expressed needs. The Program Manager serves as Columbia’s representative on the membership council of The Carpentries, an organizational partner in training researchers in computational skills.
The Program Manager will work closely with the advisory committee composed of faculty and administrator stakeholders that report to the faculty-led Shared Research Computing Policy Advisory Committee.*Subject to current circumstances and business needs, we may support flexible and hybrid/work arrangements. Options will be discussed during the interview process.*
- Develops and oversees the administrative and instructional matters related to the Foundations for Research Computing program. Includes recruitment and oversight of trained students and volunteers, coordinating departmental participation, and assessment.
- Coordinates to promote workshops offered by campus partners on topics related to data science, high performance computing, and computational research.
- Oversees the management of community-facing foundations related support programs, such as the Python User Group and Data Club.
- Engages with the advisory committee of faculty and administrators for program development input.
- Keeps up with evolving scholarly and professional trends and engage with relevant professional communities on campus and beyond.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent related experience required.
- 3–5 years of related experience required.
- Experience in planning events, training sessions, or other community engagements in an academic or related environment.
- Prior experience in computation and/or a highly-quantitative discipline.
- Excellent organizational, verbal/written communications and interpersonal skills; must be customer service-oriented, a team player, and self-starter.
- Graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with high-performance computing systems and the research tools commonly deployed.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python, R, and Matlab, used in introductory computational literacy instruction.
- Understanding of current issues, trends, and approaches to supporting computational literacy in higher education.
- Strong project-management skills with demonstrated ability to work independently, to track and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and to meet deadlines.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.