Associate Librarian - User Experience Librarian (Open Rank)
Texas Tech University Job Location: Texas Date Created: 04-17-2015
TITLE: Associate Librarian -- USER EXPERIENCE LIBRARIAN (Open Rank)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: This tenure-track position reports directly to the Associate Dean for Resources Management and Library Systems. Responsible for coordinating the Libraries' user experience efforts, for both the online and physical library environments. This new position will work to develop relationships with the Libraries various user communities and utilize information gathered from these relationships to identify and prioritize the user needs as they pertain to the libraries. Working collaboratively, the UX Librarian will be responsible for the development and implementation of programming, activities and projects designed to improve the overall user experience of the libraries. They are expected to participate in local, regional and national organizations as appropriate. As a library faculty member, the UX Librarian is expected to participate in professional development, research and service activities in order to meet the Libraries and University requirements for promotion and tenure.
* Use skills and knowledge concerning user requirements, usability methodology, focus group methodology, survey methods and basic analytics/statistics to understand the user experience and report changes needed to improve customer experiences with library services and spaces.
* Take the lead in creating an organizational culture that supports UX design as it is about making direct improvement to the library.
* Collaborate with the Web Librarian, the Libraries Website Team, and the Systems Team and any other entities involved in user assessment activities to analyze the Libraries services and spaces and provide input for user-centered enhancement and user assessment processes.
* Create and coordinate library advisory groups representing the various library stakeholders.
* Identify and evaluate all the ways the campus constituencies interact with the library and create an approach to the full spectrum of library experiences including those involving staff.
* Maintains a broad knowledge of operating systems, programming languages and software.
* Ensure that the library has all the information needed to make user research-based decisions.
* Design and engage in activities to understand what kinds of work the faculty, graduate and undergraduate students need to and how they want to do it.
* Organize and carry out user focused research using various techniques to alter existing services or create new services as a direct result of the findings of the research.
* Conduct effective UX research with different groups and stakeholders around the institution.
* Identify and promoting the use of new and innovative technologies, and working to ensure that adopted technologies are functional, efficient, and intuitive.
* Utilize user input to collaborate on and contribute to the creation, development and implementation of innovative projects and services available through the TTU Libraries websites, content management systems and digital repositories.
* Stay abreast of trends related to user-centered design, the development of digital library interface capabilities, website enhancements and usability in libraries.
* Engage in scholarly pursuits and other professional activities in accordance with Texas Tech Libraries' standards for promotion and tenure.
QUALIFICATIONS: Required: Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program. Preferred: Solid understanding of academic library services and enthusiasm for creating excellent experiences in both physical and virtual environments for all library customers. Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and to diverse audiences. Ability to summarize complex findings and present results of assessment activities. Experience with integrated library and discovery systems. Academic library experience. Project management skills; time management skills essential. Energy and enthusiasm for user-focused design and commitment to constantly update skills and techniques. Experience with library statistics collection and analysis.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The position is a 12-month appointment with a nationally competitive salary. Librarians and archivists have academic status and are an integral part of the academic teaching and research mission of the University. Comprehensive benefits include choice of retirement programs, including TIAA-CREF; 12-17 state holidays; developmental leave opportunities; moving allowance; and no state or local income tax.
GENERAL INFORMATION: Texas Tech University (http://www.ttu.edu/) is a state-supported institution with an enrollment of around 35,000. It offers a wide range of academic programs in colleges and schools, including graduate, law, and medicine. Texas Tech is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, Greater Western Library Alliance and Texshare. The University Library (http://library.ttu.edu/) has over 2.4 million volumes. Lubbock has a metropolitan population of over 250,000 and is the regional center for education, agriculture, health care, banking, and business.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: To apply for this position, please visit the Texas Tech University Personnel site at: http://www.texastech.edu/careers/. Select Faculty. Please fill out the electronic application and attach a cover letter indicating qualifications and interest in the position, current vita, and names and contact information of three references. Review of applications will continue until position is filled.
Texas Tech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans, and we consider the needs of dual career couples. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University.