UCLA Job Location: California Date Created: 03-22-2016
Department: Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library
Rank and Salary: Assistant Librarian - Librarian ($50,334 -- $83,674)
Position Availability: Immediately
Application deadline for first consideration: April 15, 2016
The Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library serves UCLA's health and life sciences communities, which include upper division undergraduate students, graduate students, residents, fellows, faculty, and staff from the four professional health sciences schools, the Division of Life Sciences, and UCLA Health, as well as the health and life sciences information needs of the UCLA community as a whole. The library is the Regional Medical Library and serves as the headquarters for the Pacific Southwest Region of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine. The Reference, Instruction, and Collection Services (RICS) division is responsible for a broad range of services, including consultation, instruction, and collection development as well as an emerging program in data management. At the most fundamental level, resources are delivered to the desktop in the classroom, clinic, research laboratory, and office. Current RICS staffing includes: 4.0 FTE librarians, 1.0 FTE data curation specialist, 1.0 FTE computer resource specialist, and 5 part-time reference desk students from UCLA's Department of Information Studies.
The Nursing Informationist cultivates partnerships between the Biomedical Library and UCLA Nursing community by providing a broad range of information services, including in-depth reference and consultation service, instruction, collection development, and outreach to UCLA students, faculty, staff, and researchers. The Nursing Informationist builds dynamic and sustainable collaborations with the School of Nursing and UCLA Health by providing a variety of group instruction sessions, individual consultations and specialized, embedded information services as a member of cross departmental project teams. The Nursing Informationist is a member of the Research, Instruction, and Collection Services (RICS) division and reports to the RICS Team Leader.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
* Cultivates partnerships between the Biomedical Library and UCLA Nursing.
* Serves as liaison for outreach, instruction, and collection services for the School of Nursing and nursing staff of UCLA Health.
* Acquires and maintains expertise in curricular and research efforts in the departments, collaborating with faculty to address departmental research and teaching information needs.
* Works with library colleagues to design, deliver, and assess virtual and in-person instructional activities to support effective, efficient, and ethical use of research resources and tools.
* Incorporates relevant technology to enhance and develop sustainable pathways for engagement with liaison areas.
* Provides expert search services, including support for systematic reviews, evidence-based practice guidelines, and other intensive research projects.
* Assists researchers and staff with UC and federal funding agencies' policies requiring open/public access to publications and digital research data, communicating new requirements to relevant campus stakeholders.
* Contributes to the UCLA Library and the Schools and Departments it serves by participating on committees, task forces, etc.
* Contributes to the profession and represents the UCLA Library in the academic, scholarly, and professional community.