Curator of Special Collections
Vanderbilt University Job Location: Tennessee Date Created: 11-18-2016
Vanderbilt University seeks an innovative and energetic archivist for the position of Curator of Archives Special Collections. Overseeing the accessioning, arrangement, description and preservation of permanent records in textual, architectural, photographic, audio/visual, born-digital, and multimedia formats, the first task of this position will be the implementation of ArchivesSpace at Vanderbilt. Initially, this position will employ this archives information management system to manage all phases of a project to arrange and describe the John L. Seigenthaler Papers which document the private and public life of a journalist, author, political figure, and First Amendment Rights advocate.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Applies professional standards to the processing, arrangement and preservation of records.
- Oversees the creation of finding aids and the creation of MARC catalog records for OCLC.
- Creates records in MARC and DACS format for in-house and web databases.
- Arranges and describes the Seigenthaler Papers (initially) and establishes processes to follow for future collections; spearheads the conversion of existing print finding aids into ArchivesSpace, implement best practices, and provides general guidance for the development and management of archives and special collections at Vanderbilt.
- Appraises unscheduled institutional records and selectively solicits and appraises private manuscript collections.
- Contributes to an energetic special collections team in teaching, public engagement, and outreach.
- Participates in regular schedule of exhibitions.
- Identifies and applies for grants when applicable to archival projects.
- Supervises paraprofessionals, students, and volunteers.
- May work on projects with student interns.
- Collaborates with IT on institutional repository issues that impact archives. Provides reference service to staff and public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required – ALA accredited MLS; 2-5 years archival experience; Bachelor’s Degree in related field; Experience with Archives Space; Familiarity with archival descriptive and technical standards such as Dublin Core, MARC, EAD, DACS, ISAD(G); Previous supervisory experience; Demonstrate effective project planning and management; Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy; excellent writing, verbal and interpersonal skills
Preferred- Subject master’s degree; Familiarity with controlled vocabularies; Knowledge of Spanish, French, or Latin; experience working in a large collection in a research library; Experience implementing and training others in new systems; open source software experience