Music Librarian, Lead for Collection Management
UCLA Job Location: California Date Created: 11-21-2016
Department: User Engagement
Rank and Salary: Assistant to Associate Librarian ($53,088-$83,546)
Position Availability: Immediately
Application deadline for first consideration: December 12, 2016
The Music Library provides access to one of the largest academic music collections in North America and the largest in Southern California. It supports the Herb Alpert School of Music, any class at UCLA with a music or audio component, and the general music community at UCLA and in Southern California. UCLA is also home to important and extensive special collections in music through the UCLA Library Special Collections, the Ethnomusicology Archive, and several area studies centers. The Music Library is part of the UCLA Library, one of the 10 largest academic music libraries in North America.
The Music Library’s collection includes subscriptions to almost every major online resource for music covering article databases, ebooks, and online audio. With approximately 80,000 books, 115,000 scores, over 100 journal subscriptions, almost 200,000 sound recordings in a variety of formats, as well as visual media and an exhaustive collection of facsimiles of music scores, the resources for music research and study span all genres of music from ancient times to today.
Besides providing services to those who study and enjoy music, the Music Library serves as a venue for music related events such as the Music Library Mid-Day Recital series. The Music Library’s Hugo and Christine Davise Fund for Contemporary Music supports both student and Los Angeles area performances and events related to Contemporary and New Music.
Research assistance is available at the Service Desk, Monday through Friday, during all hours the Music Library is open. Support for teaching and learning includes class instruction, research guides, and meetings with individual students and faculty. The Music Library’s Facebook page is an important aspect of the social media campaign.
With its three outstanding departments of Ethnomusicology, Music and Musicology, The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music aspires to educate the whole student through productive collaborations between performance and scholarship, a cross-cultural, global understanding of the art of music, and preparatory training for a broad range of careers in music after graduation. In the school, there are approximately 120 faculty, 320 undergraduate students, and 170 graduate students.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for User Engagement until the Director of Powell, Arts, and Music Libraries position is filled, the Music Librarian, Lead for Collection Management ensures access to music collections in multiple formats for use by undergraduate and graduate students, faculty performers and researchers, and scholars and performers. The incumbent works with the Music Librarian, Lead for Inquiry and Research (MLLIR) to plan the collections, services and spaces of the Music Library.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
· Coordinates the acquisition of materials in music disciplines (books, electronic resources, music scores, sound recordings, journals; ordering, receiving, binding, processing for the Southern Regional Library Facility)
· Designs, implements, documents, and manages acquisition procedures.
Digital Collections and Projects
· Coordinates acquisition, licensing, and processing of music disciplines electronic resources.
· With MLLIR, selectors, faculty and students, coordinates and/or initiates the development and implementation of music disciplines digital projects.
Conservation and Preservation
· Manages the conservation and preservation of music materials (books, music scores, sound recordings), working with the MLLIR, selectors, circulation and acquisitions staff, and the Library Preservation Program.
· With MLLIR, selectors, Library Preservation Program, and Library Special Collections develops grants for preservation and conservation of music collections.
Collection Management and Selection
· With MLLIR, selectors, and acquisitions staff, evaluates, maintains, and manages approval plans.
· With MLLIR and selectors, writes and maintains collection development policies for music disciplines collections.
· Under the coordination of the MLLIR, performs Music Library classroom instruction, research consultations, tours, and orientations to classes and groups.
· Under the coordination of MLLIR, creates web guides and pathfinders both for class instruction and general use.