The application cycle for the ARL/SAA Mosaic Program 2019-2021 cohort is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
To apply for the ARL/SAA Mosaic Program, please follow these steps:
1. Complete the ARL/SAA Mosaic Program Application Form online.
- With your online application, submit a résumé (see guidelines).
- With your application, submit an essay of a maximum of 500 words describing what attracts you to the archives or special collections profession, as well as the issues and/or digital projects you are interested in exploring during your archival training. Please also discuss the importance of and your commitment to diversity and/or inclusion in the archival profession.
- Upload your unofficial undergraduate school transcripts, including your last academic semester completed. Electronic submissions are admissible for consideration, but hard-copy originals must be on file before an applicant can be accepted into the program.
- Upload unofficial graduate transcripts, including your last academic semester completed, OR, if available at the time of submission, official letter of acceptance into a graduate-level program in archival science, archival management, digital archives, special collections, or a related program. Electronic submissions are admissible for consideration, but hard-copy originals must be on file before an applicant can be accepted into the program.
2. Select two references who can assess and speak to your character and abilities. One letter of recommendation should be from a current or former work supervisor (professional reference), another should be from a college/university faculty member or instructor (academic reference). To the degree possible, the following points should be addressed:
- Applicant’s abilities in oral and written communication
- Applicant’s achievements
- Applicant’s interpersonal skills (e.g., ability to work as part of a team)
- Applicant’s initiative
- Applicant’s potential for a professional career in archival science or special collections librarianship
Letters of recommendation should be written on professional letterhead, signed, scanned, and e-mailed directly from the reference to Mira Swearer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Electronic copies are preferred, but hard copies of recommendation letters may be sent to ARL at the following address:
Mira Swearer, Program Coordinator for Grants Administration
Association of Research Libraries
21 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
Please note: Applicants may participate in only one SAA or ARL scholarship or travel award opportunity per recruitment cycle (the year in which the award is made). Students may apply for any and all programs for which they are eligible. Those who accept placement in the ARL/SAA Mosaic Program forfeit eligibility to receive other SAA or ARL scholarship and award funding, such as SAA’s Pinkett, Peterson, and Holmes travel awards, the SAA Mosaic Scholarship, the Josephine Forman Scholarship, the F. Gerald and Elsie Ham Scholarship, the ARL Kaleidoscope Program, and other awards. Please contact the ARL director of diversity and leadership programs, Mark A. Puente, at email@example.com with any questions.