ARL Film Festival (“Arlies”) 2018 Call for Entries: Deadline March 5
The Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Member Engagement and Outreach Committee is accepting submissions for the third annual ARL Film Festival (the “Arlies”), to be held on the afternoon of either Tuesday, April 24, or Wednesday, April 25, during the 2018 Spring Association Meeting. (The date and time will be determined by the Association Meeting reception schedule.) The ARL Film Festival highlights and shares multimedia products developed by member institutions to increase knowledge and use of libraries, their spaces, services, collections, and expertise.
Submissions are limited to ARL member libraries and must be received no later than Monday, March 5, 2018. The committee encourages entries that reflect diversity of the student population. Because accepted submissions will be viewed during an afternoon event, only 20 films/videos will be included in this year’s festival. The films will be chosen based on a combination of date of submission, length of video, and fit in the selected category. The goal is to feature four films in each of the five categories, listed below. All entries, including those not featured at the festival, will be linked from the ARL website.
Please read the submission requirements and eligibility categories below. The requirements emphasize that films should be three minutes or less and produced in the past two years (2016 or later). All entries must be accompanied by the completed application form.
Please follow these entry requirements:
- Entries must not exceed a total running time of three minutes each, including credits.
- Films can be either scripted or improvisational, animated or not. Films produced prior to January 1, 2016, are not eligible for consideration for the 2018 festival.
- Films shown at a previous Arlies are not eligible for consideration for the 2018 festival.
- An institution may enter only one film per year.
- A completed application form and a link to the video must accompany each entry.
- Submission of the video should include a link that can be accessed by the ARL staff. Links from any web-hosted video-streaming platform such as YouTube or Vimeo are acceptable. With submission of the entry form, the library gives ARL permission to post the video link on its website.
Your entry must fall into one of the following five submission categories.
- How-To/Instruction Films: In order to qualify for this category, the submitted project must be created for use in a classroom or online course or as an instructional video to learn a new skill (e.g., How to Use Endnote).
- Development/Fund-Raising Films: In order to qualify for this category, the submitted project must be intended to raise funds or attract potential donors to the library. A specific goal must be included (e.g., $10,000 or securing the names of at least 20 new friends for the library).
- Collections-Focused Films: In order to qualify for this category, the submitted project must highlight book(s), document(s), photograph(s), sound recording(s), collection(s) or other item(s) from the library’s holdings.
- Publicity/Marketing Films: In order to qualify for this category, the submitted project must be intended to promote knowledge of and appreciation for the library, services, spaces, or expertise to a particular audience.
- Free-Form Films: Other than meeting submission requirements, there are no rules for submitting in this category, either because the project does not fit into any of the other categories or defies categorization altogether. Bring it on!
Awards and Judging
Entries will be evaluated by member representatives of the Association who will vote following the film viewing on the evening of Tuesday, April 24, or Wednesday, April 25. All awards will be announced on Thursday, April 26, during the closing program of the Spring Association Meeting. Awards for best entry will be made for the following:
- Best of show
- Best of each category
- Best reflection of diversity
- Best performance
- Best production
Lights, camera, action!
If you hav questions or need additional information, please contact Sue Baughman at email@example.com.