The Julia C. Blixrud Scholarship supports the attendance of one master of library and information science (MLIS) student or recent graduate at the annual ARL Fall Forum. The award recipient will receive a scholarship of $1,000 plus registration to attend the Fall Forum on October 20, 2022. This scholarship is supported by generous donations to the Julia C. Blixrud Memorial Fund.
The award covers the registration fee for the Fall Forum and provides a scholarship of $1,000.
Awardee Selection Criteria
The successful applicant will meet the following criteria:
- Be a current MLIS student or a graduate who is within two years of graduation (Spring 2020 graduates are eligible to apply.)
- Exhibit evidence of being a creative thinker who is passionate about the topic of the Fall Forum (The theme of the 2022 ARL Fall Forum is “Supporting Mental and Emotional Health for Ourselves and Others“)
- Demonstrate strong potential to contribute to the profession
The scholarship awardee will fulfill three requirements:
- Attend the Fall Forum
- Actively use social media to communicate about the Fall Forum during the event
- Write a summary of their participation to be published by ARL after the event
All applicants must submit the following documents:
- An original essay (400 words maximum) or visualization (e.g., a three-minute video or an infographic) on the topic of the 2022 ARL Fall Forum. (ARL reserves the right to distribute all submissions using a Creative Commons license.)
- A résumé or CV that demonstrates strong interest in the area addressed by the Fall Forum
- A letter of reference/recommendation from a supervisor and/or professor nominating the applicant for the Julia C. Blixrud Scholarship that (a) speaks to the applicant’s potential to contribute to the profession and (b) explicitly states the applicant’s current status as a student or recent professional who graduated within the last two years
How to Apply
To apply, complete the online application form, and upload your essay or visualization along with your résumé or CV. Your letter of recommendation must be on letterhead, signed, and emailed directly from a supervisor or professor to JCBfund@arl.org.
Applications and supporting documents are due to ARL by 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on Monday, August 29, 2022. If you have questions about the scholarship or application process, email JCBfund@arl.org.
- August 8, 2022: ARL issues call for applications
- August 29, 2022: Applications due to ARL
- Week of September 12, 2022: Applicants notified of selection decision
- October 20, 2022: ARL Fall Forum
If you have questions about the scholarship or the application process, please email JCBfund@arl.org.