The Julia C. Blixrud Scholarship supports the attendance of one master of library and information science (MLIS) student or recent graduate at the Fall Forum, held in Washington, DC, each year. The award recipient will receive a scholarship of $1,000 plus registration to attend the Fall Forum. This scholarship is supported by generous donations to the Julia C. Blixrud Memorial Fund.
The award covers the registration fee for the Fall Forum and provides a scholarship of $1,000 to help offset the costs of travel to and attendance at the Fall Forum.
Awardee Selection Criteria
The successful applicant will meet the following criteria:
- Be a current MLIS student or a graduate who is within two years of graduation
- Exhibit evidence of being a creative thinker who is passionate about the topic of the Fall Forum
The theme of the 2019 ARL Fall Forum is “Research Libraries as Catalytic Leaders in a Society in Constant Flux.”
- Demonstrate strong potential to contribute to the profession
The scholarship awardee will fulfill three requirements:
- Attend the Fall Forum
- Actively use social media to communicate about the Fall Forum during the event
- Write a summary of her/his participation to be published by ARL after the event
All applicants must submit the following documents:
- An original essay (400 words maximum) or visualization (e.g., a three-minute video or an infographic) on the topic of the 2019 ARL Fall Forum
ARL reserves the right to distribute all submissions using a Creative Commons license.
- A résumé or CV that demonstrates strong interest in the area addressed by the Fall Forum
- A letter of reference/recommendation from a supervisor and/or professor nominating the applicant for the Julia C. Blixrud Scholarship that (a) speaks to the applicant’s potential to contribute to the profession and (b) explicitly states the applicant’s current status as a student or recent professional who graduated within the last two years
How to Apply
To apply, complete the online application form, and upload your essay or visualization along with your résumé or CV. Your letter of recommendation must be on letterhead, signed, and emailed directly from a supervisor or professor to JCBfund@arl.org.
Applications and supporting documents are due to ARL by 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on Tuesday, June 4, 2019. If you have questions about the scholarship or application process, email JCBfund@arl.org.
- Week of April 22, 2019: ARL issues call for applications
- June 4, 2019: Applications due to ARL
- Late July 2019: Applicants notified of selection decision
- September 26, 2019: ARL Fall Forum
If you have questions about the scholarship or the application process, please email JCBfund@arl.org.