The Association of Research Libraries (ARL) and the Digital Library Federation (DLF) are offering ARL+DLF Fellowships to enable attendance of a diverse group of practitioners at the 2018 DLF Forum and to create a more inclusive community.
The DLF Forum welcomes digital library, archives, and museum practitioners from DLF member institutions and beyond. At the forum, the community celebrates successes, learns from mistakes, sets grassroots agendas, and organizes for action. This year’s DLF Forum will be held Monday–Wednesday, October 15–17, at the M Resort just outside Las Vegas, Nevada.
Benefits and Responsibilities
ARL+DLF Fellowship awardees will receive the following benefits:
- Complimentary DLF Forum registration
- A complimentary room at the conference hotel for three nights (October 14–16)
- Up to $500 in funding for travel and meals
- Invitations to special networking opportunities
- The option to present a short lightning talk during the conference
In return, ARL+DLF Fellows will be asked to share brief reflections on their forum experiences, which will be published on DLF’s blog after the event.
Applicants should identify as members of a group (or groups) underrepresented among digital library and cultural heritage practitioners. These include—but are not limited to—people of Hispanic or Latino, Black or African American, Asian, Middle Eastern, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, First Nations, American Indian, or Alaskan Native descent. Applications from people who could contribute to the diversity of the forum in other ways are also warmly welcomed.
Apply online by 11:59 p.m. Pacific daylight time on Friday, July 6, 2018. The application requires the following components:
- Personal statement (under 500 words) explaining your involvement in digital libraries or related fields, indicating your eligibility, and describing how you see yourself benefiting from and participating in the DLF Forum and wider cultural heritage communities
- Link to résumé, CV, or full professional profile online (alternately, a PDF emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Confirmation of your stipend need (Estimate needing less than the full $500? Let us know so the funds can be used to support more fellows.)
Past DLF Fellows, including previous Forum Fellowship awardees, are welcome to apply for support. Three fellows will receive the 2018 ARL+DLF Fellowship award package. Applicants may be considered for other DLF Forum awards, if eligible.
About the Association of Research Libraries
The Association of Research Libraries (ARL) is a nonprofit organization of 125 research libraries in Canada and the US whose mission is to advance research, learning, and scholarly communication. The Association fosters the open exchange of ideas and expertise, promotes equity and diversity, and pursues advocacy and public policy efforts that reflect the values of the library, scholarly, and higher education communities. ARL forges partnerships and catalyzes the collective efforts of research libraries to enable knowledge creation and to achieve enduring and barrier-free access to information. ARL is on the web at ARL.org.
About the Digital Library Federation
The Digital Library Federation (DLF) is a community of practitioners who advance research, learning, social justice, and the public good through the creative design and wise application of digital library technologies. Our member institutions make the work of the DLF possible, supporting community efforts in a variety of research and prototyping, information sharing, staff development, networking, and catalytic initiatives. However, individuals are invited to participate in DLF working groups and events regardless of institutional status. DLF serves all who are invested in the success of libraries, museums, and archives in the digital age. DLF is on the web at diglib.org.