Implementing Effective Data Practices is a report based on the recommendations of experts from library, research, and scientific communities for effective data practices to support a more open research ecosystem. The recommendations are based on information and insights shared during a December 2019 invitational conference convened by the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the California Digital Library (CDL), the Association of American Universities (AAU), and the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU). The conference was sponsored by the US National Science Foundation (NSF). The report focuses on recommendations for research institutions and also provides guidance for publishers, tool builders, and professional associations.
Chodacki, John, Cynthia Hudson-Vitale, Natalie Meyers, Jennifer Muilenburg, Maria Praetzellis, Kacy Redd, Judy Ruttenberg, Katie Steen, Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, and Maria Gould. Implementing Effective Data Practices: Stakeholder Recommendations for Collaborative Research Support. Washington, DC: Association of Research Libraries, September 2020. https://doi.org/10.29242/report.effectivedatapractices2020.
Presentation Slides (Download PowerPoint Document)
Discussion Questions (Download Word Document)
Reading List (Download Word Document)
Publications and Blogs
- Ruttenberg, Judy, “From Transactional to Transformational: Research Libraries and Data Partnerships,” EDUCAUSE Review, February 24, 2020.
- ARL Views, “Interviews on Implementing Effective Data Practices, Part III: Getting down into the Details” by Natalie Meyers, Judy Ruttenberg, and Cynthia Hudson-Vitale, November 10, 2020
- ARL Views, “Interviews on Implementing Effective Data Practices, Part II: Conference Goals” by Natalie Meyers, Judy Ruttenberg, and Cynthia Hudson-Vitale, November 4, 2020
- ARL Views, “Interviews on Implementing Effective Data Practices, Part I: Why This Work Matters” by Natalie Meyers, Judy Ruttenberg, and Cynthia Hudson-Vitale, October 28, 2020
- ARL Views, “Five Takeaways from NSF Funded Conference on Implementing Effective Data Practices,” by Judy Ruttenberg.
The conference, Implementing Effective Data Practices: A Conference on Collaborative Research Support, was held on December 11–12, 2019, in Washington, DC. It brought together research data stakeholders to discuss the current state of persistent identifiers for datasets and machine readable data management plans. The conference was organized by ARL, the California Digital Library (CDL), the Association of American Universities (AAU), and the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU).
This event was funded by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 1945938.