Research Data Services Librarian Job Description
Research Data Services Librarian
University of Kentucky
Job Location: Kentucky
Apply By: 10/04/2019
Date Created: 08-09-2019
Recently embarking on a historic $2.1 billion comprehensive campaign, the University of Kentucky set an ambitious path to be a destination for students, scholars, and healthcare providers to forge new discoveries and arrive at world-class outcomes. University of Kentucky Libraries is vital to fulfilling the goals of enhancing and expanding the university’s research enterprise, and we are looking for a creative, collaborative, and engaged library professional to provide innovative services in the position of Research Data Services Librarian.
In this newly created position, the Librarian will facilitate collaboration across UK Libraries through training to propose, plan, implement, and assess workflows and services for the description, preservation, and utilization of research data. The Librarian will engage campus constituents involved in research, teaching, and learning by offering consultations for acquiring, locating, and using research data; by educating the university community about research data management and stewardship; and by providing expertise in managing and sharing research data. Reporting to the Director of Digital Scholarship, the Librarian will be an active relationship builder and excellent communicator with the ability to work campus-wide to develop and communicate research data management services.
Responsibilities of the Research Data Services Librarian include:
- Serve as the lead in developing, providing, and assessing services and programs in support of campus constituents across disciplines through the research data lifecycle.
- Provide consultation on the development of research data management plans for grant applications using DMPTool.
- Assist researchers in meeting funders’ or publishers’ requirements for research data sharing by preparing and depositing research datasets in appropriate digital repositories.
- Provide instruction for digital and data literacies.
- Educate the university community about the value of responsible research data management practices.
- Provide faculty and students with assistance in finding and using research data.
- Provide data visualization services in collaboration with UK Libraries faculty and staff.
- Collaborate with academic liaisons to promote open access to research data and digital scholarship initiatives.
- Act as the liaison with other campus units that support research data management.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent degree.
- Demonstrated experience with research-related data responsibilities in an academic or research environment.
- Demonstrated experience with research data curation best practices, including retrieval, preservation, and metadata standards.
- Demonstrated experience with funders’ or publishers’ requirements for research data management and sharing.
- Working knowledge of open data sources for the discovery of datasets suitable for research or coursework.
- Demonstrated experience with data visualization software such as R and Tableau.
- Demonstrated understanding of trends in data management throughout the research lifecycle.
- Demonstrated willingness to adjust the range of responsibilities to meet evolving campus needs.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong rapport with multiple constituencies in order to effectively collaborate and build partnerships inside and outside of the library and university.
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a university in which students, faculty, and staff are highly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, income, level of educational attainment, and religion.
- Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track position through research, publication, and/or professional engagement.
- Familiarity with data use agreements and licensing.
- Familiarity with data analysis using statistical software such as Stata, R, SAS, or SPSS.
- Familiarity with using analytics and deriving data-informed insights.
Position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 60 and a support and professional staff of 108. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK Online Academic Profile at http://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/241183
and attach two documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters for your references within the employment system.
If you have any questions, contact H/R employment, phone (859) 257-9555, press 2.
The application deadline is October 4th
Learn More »